Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 5 months ago

When did the push to encourage everyone to go to college begin?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You can probably date it to the post-World War II period and the G.I. Bill.  A grateful nation wanted to reward the surviving soldiers with a chance to better their lives.  More people went to college than ever before, and they DID better their lives.  Their kids -- the very large Baby Boom generation -- then grew up to go to college, as the children of the college-educated usually do, but many other people realized that college was a path to higher salaries and higher-status careers, so they, too, encouraged their children to aspire to college.

And, starting in the 70s, we began to change from a manufacturing to a service/technology economy, so that it became harder for people with only high school diplomas to get good jobs with good benefits.  

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Post WWII when everyone thought their kid was a genius and needed to have all the stuff that the parents were deprived of due to the Great Depression.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

About the time leftist liberals almost completely infiltrated "higher education".

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

In part when the available, well paying jobs required an education beyond high school.  In my experience it hasn’t been so much needing a college degree, but needing to recognize the importance of education and a willingness to learn - whether that is a four year college degree or a two year certification or an apprenticeship.  

I think it’s also related to how fast technology is developing and industries are changing.  People need to be able to adapt and education is one way to help people do that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jake
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

For me it was when I was 4 years old.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Is there some problems with this site. you click on the answer and it jump to something.

that does not makes any sense.WHY.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Right after the first American settled in another country.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Back when the government realized how much money there was in it to make people feel like they mattered. It's even worse now when people are just getting degrees for the sake of getting degrees, useless degrees which hold no worth to the economy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.