Why can’t I believe I’m pretty?

My friends always tell me I’m “so pretty” “I’m beautiful” “they wish they looked like me”.

I have random strangers walk up to me tell me how pretty I am, I have random strangers hit on me / ask me out. No matter what people say or how they act every time I see myself I feel absolutely repulsed. I don’t feel like I deserve any of it. I feel so horrible for feeling this way too. I wish I didn’t look like this, I wish I didn’t get this kind of attention, and I feel selfish for even feeling this way when everyone goes out of their way to say/ do things like this.

I just want to see what they see. Why can’t I appreciate they way I look and love myself?

Favorite Answer

so i'm the exact same and i'm a guy, i get told how handsome i am by girls and guys i think it's because they detect my insecurity and unwillingness to hit on or flirt with girls. I wrote down all the compliments i could think of that i got and it's a note on my phone i look at if i feel insecure, it is evidence that my f.e.a.r. ( false evidence appearing real) is false,  i have confidence issues like you and i know i'm like a 8 to 10 depending on who you ask, obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder,  a girl i think is a 2 could  not be interested in me, but point is on a societal stand point i'm attractive to most in an above average way and yet  i feel this insecurity i can't break, i grew up with bad social anxiety, i suggest you go to therapy and if that does not work look into auyashka, watch the documentary unwell on netflix.  it's not for everyone but you have deep seeded problems, I was planning it and still likely will do it but i actually nailed 2 dates back to back this week with attractive girls on a dating app so i'm a bit distracted but, you are your own worst enemy, like right now i'm drinking like an idiot when i have a date tomorrow, granted it's a late date but i get in my own way, and so do you

maybe you need more self confidence

psycho mother.....

It's because you have low self esteem.

beliefs r a big part emotional and emotions warp logic , there are plenty of near dead skinny anorexic women that think they r fat for example 

EDIT: yea self esteem and serotonin levels being lower might do that to u also , funny how they talk about self esteem as if its"psychological "rather than "biological"

Source(s): hopefully that will snap u out of it, if not see a shrink