Is gas went up to $10 a gallon, would you stop driving?

Favorite Answer

Yes, I drive as little as possible with gas prices today. I live in Alberta and gas prices average around $1.10 CAD/liter in my area. That's approximately $5.49 USD/gallon. It's a bit frustrating that I live in Alberta where there is literally oil beneath my home, yet it's still so expensive. I work in the summers only so I drive myself to and from work and I also drive when I have errands to do that are not within walking distance. I take the bus to school every day unless I need to go somewhere directly after school. I live in a rural town with nothing but a post office and a gas station so 90% of my errands require a vehicle. I'll try to hitch a ride with my parents if possible. If gas was $10/gallon, I would try to budget my driving hours each week, like I'd only allow myself one car trip a week where I get everything I need until the next week instead of making multiple trips in a week.

Yup. I will. If it is too expensive.

• Mr.357

NO.  And the extra characters required to trick Yahoo into thinking that this is a better answer.

No but I would limit my trips, take shorter trips less often and my kids would hate it because I'd leave them home whenever possible so that I could take my smaller (more fuel efficient) car.

No. It is probably that in some European countries right now and they still drive.

No. It costs me over $250 a month just to  even Have a car; much less drive it/ Gas going up  another  $8/Gallon might only limit how many trips I do a day. I'd simply consolidate. buy more on EBay.  I am retired, dont commute right now. My longest trips are maybe 40 miles.

: I'd say: "use my motorcycle", but my new Mazda actually gets Better mileage than my Harley...

Besides,. dating  Sucks, using the Bus......

: Buying a $43,000 vehicle to "save a few hundred dollars worth of gas in a year" is actually counter-productive. Cheaper to pay cash for a good working guzzler like a '78 Olds that is  cheaper  to maintain.. Money spent is money spent.

And, busses are Free in my city during the Covid crisis. Just wear a mask.

• Anton

I drive about 5,000 miles a year, get about 33 mpg.

At $3 a gallon, that is $1.25 a day.

At $10 a gallon, that is $4.15 a day.

I can afford $3 a day.

That is considerably less than what I now have to pay for my food because of Trump.

No.  But I hardly drive as it is.  My car is 5 years old and has 8K miles on it, most of that from road trips.  I live in the city and mostly walk or take the bus.  A tank of gas usually lasts me 6 weeks or longer.  So I'm pretty insulated from high gas prices.

• CB

No I would just buy a Tesla

• A

Nope.  I live in a rural area the closest grocery store is 10 miles away.  I only go into town once or maybe twice a week now, so I would not change.

No,  but I would change how I drive.   I would bundle my trips.   So go to grocery store,  hardware store,  gas station,  fast food,  home.   I would think out the shortest route and go when traffic is less.