taming of the shrew question (20pts)?

im really bad with shakes-here literature so can someone help me with either one of these questions 

What is a word you would use to describe Bianca's marriage to Lucentio and why? Do they seem like they have a "companionate" marriage? Why or why not? Be as specific as possible in your explanations, using textual details/quotation to back up your points.

What is a word you would use to describe Katherine and Petruchio's marriage in these acts and why? Do you think the two end up having a "companionate" marriage or not? Be as specific as possible in your explanations, using textual details/quotation to back up your points.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Look up "companionate marriage" in your class notes or via Google.

The carefully read through the play.

I admit they are tough questions. What would a 16th century English married couple call a "companionable marriage"? Their criteria and expectations would differ from mine or that of my 20th century parents and 21st century married family members. Do we go with 1600 or 2020? 

Both Lucentio and Petruchio expected their wives to come when called. Lucentio requested.  Petruchio commanded. Did Kate come willingly? Did she want to submit to her husband's will? Or was she crushed by his will? Or did she manage him by seeming to submit to him?  

Some Shakespeare scholars say one thing. Others say another. The teacher wants you to think through the relationships and give your opinion, with evidence from the play.

• 2 weeks ago

Is that all, harps? 20pts is nothing. Start your offer at 60 pts and we can talk. Hope this ptsed.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

We get that it's hard to read, but you don't have to be a genius to answer these questions. Serious question: did you actually read the play despite it being difficult?

Okay, no. Did you seek a movie version, read online summaries, any of that? No.

Then enjoy your F.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.