Would a school play or a community theatre production still count as an “acting gig” even though it's not a paid gig?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Acting gigs are not defined by how much you get paid. Actors often take unpaid gigs for the credit, experience, or the connections. Aspiring actors who are just starting out are simply focusing on growing as a performer and getting their feet wet, they're not focusing on getting paid.

So, yes. Almost anything but extra work. But if you're aiming for a career in acting, you will eventually replace those unimpressive gigs and roles with bigger and more serious ones (IF you get those). You don't look for an agent with "school play" in your resume, for example. No agent would even consider signing you. Eventually, ideally, your resume should include *leading* roles in things like serious theater productions, student and indie films, local commercials, etc. The emphasize will be on impressing potential agents. How much you get paid is not a factor.

If, on the other hand, you're asking because you're looking for a job doing what you love, or just to get paid for it, I'm afraid acting is not a very good option. Like I said, actors often take unpaid gigs. And for other gigs they get paid very low. Besides, relying on landing enough paid roles makes no sense. You'd be lucky if you landed 1 (paid or unpaid) role out of 100 in a serious theater production.

• 1 month ago

Yes, it's all acting experience.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is certainly experience in acting.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would think it would.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.