Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 month ago

Is it true that people who don't get a proper burial become ghosts?

• Annie
    Favorite Answer

I had one very odd experience many years ago. My uncle died of diabetes and we attended funeral and all that. I was a teen and didn't know any specifics about his burial arrangements. About 2 years later I had a very disturbing dream that he came to me in some sort of spirit form and told me he was very unhappy about his remains. It was a strong enough dream to ask my mother about it. She talked to her sister who said she had him cremated and had his remains in a box in a closet. My mom told her to properly bury him. I don't know if she did, but I never heard from him again and thought the whole thing kind of weird! 

• Gabe

Ghosts, Well, the oldest known ghost is the spirit of a Roman Soldier, which strikes us as very ancient...... But, to ANYONE with even the slightest sense of history and the past,,,, THAT IS RIDICULOUSLY YOUNG!!!!!!!!! If these things are immortal & permanent, why don't we see more, and a lot more that are MUCH older, from very far back in antiquity. Why don't we see ghosts of Phoenicians, Carthagians, Ancient Chinese, Egyptians, Sumerians?? Why don't we go back to the point of prehistory and before? Why isn't Africa CRAMMED with the ghosts of cavemen? Furthermore, why do they wear clothes? Think about that. Wouldn't the spirit go naked, even if it did not want to, simply because clothing is not live, therefore cannot have a spirit to exist in that realm. Since animals are said to have spirits, why don't we see the ghosts of dinosaurs? Ah, you should know Harry Houdini went to mediums to contact his mother, and well, the good news is, the voices/mediums spoke plainly to him, called him "Harry", said "it is I your mother",,, now the bad news,,, HARRY HOUDINI'S MOMMA DIDN'T SPEAK NO ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!! SHE NEVER CALLED HIM HARRY EITHER!!!!!! He was outraged, and spent the rest of his life mocking and trying to debunk such people.

• Dubbs

No, ghosts generally are not dependent on burial methods, it's usually due to unfinished business or the method in which they died which causes the consciousness (or reflective consciousness) to stay behind.

Some spirits will not rest until a certain goal is achieved or justice brought to those who killed them... or in some cases, until the body is completely decomposed.

Not all ghosts are conscious, though. Sometimes imprints are left on the fabric of space and time where a ghost appears to be replaying a certain action done while alive.

And by proper burial, you mean what exactly?  

I'm a Pastafarian, so a Jewish or Catholic burial ritual wouldn't be proper for me.  Or do the physical details of the burial matter?  What if the hole is just over six feet deep, is that an improper burial?  What about people whose remains are cremated and kept on a shelf or scattered to nature, do they count as proper burials even though they're not buried?  That stuff obviously matters, and you didn't mention any of it.

I won't even get started on how to prove that the unprovable is true or false, we'll tackle that aspect once you've laid out the rules for what is and is not a proper burial.

• Kelley

No.  When a person dies they go to either Heaven or Hell.

Its when you bury them upside down , their soul  escapes out their anus