Am I wrong thinking Microsoft made a mistake with the upcoming Xbox series X ??

I am thinking sure the processor the Xbox series x is slightly faster than the PlayStation 5.  The issue arises that the Xbox series x drive will be 2.4GB/s where the PlayStation 5 drive will be 5.5GB/s.  I personally would rather have a drive that is what 50% faster.  I thought Microsoft made a mistake .

Since they will both support 8k the faster drive will be a benefit to that too.

• opurt

There's a big difference between rated speeds and the speeds the media can actually deliver data at. But even then, it'll only improve load times and sometimes things like texture pop-in. If Microsoft wants to cheap out on a part to save some money, then that's one of the places to do it.

For the gameplay itself, the faster CPU and additional CUs will make more of a difference in the long run.

• P

Coming at it from first hand knowledge on the PC gaming side hard drive speed doesn't usually translate to faster load times after a certain point when you already have a fast SSD.   After investing in some super fast drives for my PC it didn't translate to the gaming boost I was hoping for.  After researching I found it has more to do with how the games are being loaded since after a certain point they are not just loading raw data, they are compiling a bunch of other calculations as well which bottlenecks the max potential of the drive.  In layman's terms the best parallel I can give you it's like having a car that can go 150 mph vs 250mph and not having any roads where it's possible to ever go above 150mph.   At the end of the day picking whatever car gives the best acceleration will be faster in everyday practical use regardless of it's top speed.  

The counter argument is what if we have a road to go 250mph on, but that is actually a much bigger "if" than you would think, especially when you give up that acceleration.