If you start insulin shots can you get off it?

My dad had an incident that landed him in the hospital. While there they realized his blood sugar was crazy high so they’ve been giving him insulin shots to help get it back in check. He tells me it’s just temporary, but others are saying if it’s the shot you always have to keep using it. Are they right or can his diet change so he no longer needs the shot?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

People have been known to go off insulin, no longer needing it.

• 1 month ago

If you are type 1 you'll need insulin forever.  In the case of type 2 if the non insulin medications aren't controlling blood sugars then the doctor may prescribe insulin.  In the case of type 2 diabetes if the person loses weight sometimes the diabetes can be controlled through a diet regimen.  Just know that there is no known cure for diabetes right now.

Source(s): Former Chairman of Outreach for the Diabetes Society of the Santa Clara Valley
  • 1 month ago

Yes you can. By changing your diet to more fruits and vegetables lean meats and get off the sweets like soda. Also you're going to have to slowly decrease the amount of insulin you give yourself you cannot quit cold turkey many of these drugs are designed in such a way that if you stop you could die. It's not easy to get off of insulin but you can it's better if you never start. Synthetic insulin shuts down your body's natural insulin production.  And you slowly decrease the amount of synthetic insulin you are giving yourself combined with better diet and exercise your body should be able to produce its own insulin and process it normally again with time. 

• 1 month ago

There is no person that can answer your question from yahoo answers.Your dad and many other people could have had diabetes for 20 years without knowing it. Each person situatioon is different. Does he still make any insulin? Is he overweight? Is he on any steroids or other meds? When was last Dr visit? What does he eat? How often does he urinate? Does his doctor have any history with treating diabetic patients? How old is he? I am not saying you need to answert all these questions, but all of these answers help determine whetehr or not Insulin is in his future. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That depends. Many type 2 diabetics are on insulin. Double diabetics are on both insulin and oral medications. There are also injected medications for type 2 diabetics that are NOT insulin. 

Each diabetic is unique. What works for one diabetic can be fatal for another diabetic. Type 1 diabetics, no matter what they are when they are diagnosed, are on insulin for life. 5% of diabetics are type 1 diabetics. I AM a type 1 diabetic for over 65 Years and counting. 

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

for a while he will need insulin. but if he eats well enough (diabetic dieting) and can get his A1C under 7, he could get by with pills instead. someone I know had an A1C of 14. she started a strict regimen of diabetic dieting, and now a year later it's 6.8. so it can be done.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes.  If his sugar is elevated due to steroids and illness, it often gets better.  He may be able to take oral antihyperglycemic meds.  Or, he may need insulin.  No way to answer that question.  But, if he needs insulin, it is not that big a deal. 

In the ICU I frequently put patients on a continuous Insulin drip until they get better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.