Shawn asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

English please! If you made a reservation for a boat rental. and if someone asks where you're going, do you say "I'm having a boat rental"?

Or "I'm going boat riding?" or what do you say? 

Favorite Answer

If someone asks you "where are you going," they mean to what place, such as Cuba, or Jamaica. "I have a boat rental" means the means by which you are going. It would be more idiomatic, however, to say, "I have rented a boat," in answer to the question, "how are you going."

I'm going to rent a boat. 

Simple! Don't overcomplicate things!!

You could say, I placed a reservation for a boat rental, is this where I’d pick it up ? Or , I made a reservation for a boat rental . Or,  Is this where you pick up a boat that I’ve reserved with a reservation? You wouldn’t want to say, I’m having a boat rental . Although they would understand what you want , it’s not the proper way to say this. If you have anymore questions like this feel free to email me . hollielewisrose@gmail.com

You say:  "I'm renting a boat" or "I'm going to rent a boat."

"Having a boat rental" sounds like you're trying to rent the boat to someone else,  and even then no one would say it like that.

neither sound natural

Source(s): dutch/NL

I might say: "I'm going to pick up the boat which I have hired. I'm having a day at sea". Neither of your ideas feels natural to me in Britain.

Note that I am British, so I would 'hire' a car or a boat.   Americans 'rent' cars and, presumably, boats.

In Britain only apartments and houses and other forms of building are 'rented'.

i think either one is okay

• .

I rented a boat and I'm going boating.