Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 2 months ago

Can guitar strings be used without the guitar to make sound?

Can I connect guitar strings between two objects (and assuming I get the tension right) produce a sound? I know it won't sound like a guitar.

For example: say I connect them between two secured chairs and pluck them or tap witha spoon or other metal object...will I get a sound?

• HMFan

Yes. It probably won’t sound like a guitar but you will get sound.

• John P

No law against making sounds in any way you fancy.  The sound from your

arrangement will not be loud because there js no sounding box as there is on almost all stringed instruments.

But, for the cost of a couple of guitar strings, or even some household nylon thread or strimmer cable, why not try it and see what you can do?

If you can get the strings tight enough they'll make a sound. Without some kind of soundboard or box to resonate it will be very quite though - like an electric guitar played without amplification.

It might be best to use nylon strings as they don't need so much tension.

• snafu

Sure.  If you fabricated a way of fixing them to a soundbox and attached a contact mic, with an output and attach other potential noise making devices, you’d have an interesting box of sound tricks. You can buy these things off the shelf.

YES, BUT YOU WON'T GET MUCH SOUND WITHOUT SOMETHING TO RESONATE like a guitar top, the soundboard on a piano, the head of a banjo, etc.

• Fin

Yes, you can. Ever tapped on a utility pole's tension wire?  (That was how they got the sound for the blaster rifles in 1977 for Star Wars).

Put them under enough tension and you'll get sound.

Yes. That is essentially how a piano or harp works - a string or wire stretched over a rigid frame, each note produced by a separate string of different lengths, rather than shortening the length on a fret with your fingers as you would a guitar.