pauly
pauly asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 month ago

I live in an unusual place. It’s in the middle of a big city but it’s quiet and it feels and looks like the suburbs. Do you think......?

........it is risky to go to bed and leave the back door open? (We have a six foot fence around the back garden/yard). What would you do? Would you sleep easy?

By “open” I mean ajar.

I ask because I have a cat and she miows to be let in and then she miows to be let out and it is disrupting my natural sleep patterns. 

• John P

Best notion is to get a cat flap. A little door some inches across, with a door hanging from the top piece. Specifically designed to allow cats to go in and out at any time of day or night.  Available at DIY stores.  Quite an easy DIY job to fit one in the back door, or get a local tradesman to to fit it for you.

Then you can lock your back door.

I've forgotten to shut my door some summer nights quite a few times and I live in a city centre just two streets behind a major thoroughfare.  I still would not advise anyone do this.  When I was new here someone tried to burgle me and I nearly did them in with a crowbar.  I would also not advise this even though it's worked out to my advantage as I've never been troubled since word got around.  

What I would do in your situation is to install a cat flap for the little blighter.  For your peace of mind I'd get an electronic one you can synch with her microchip so you won't have to worry about other cats and small critters availing themselves of it too.  If you look online you will see that there are many models to suit all manner of doors, windows, and even walls.

It is nuts to leave doors open when you sleep, no matter where you live.  Bats, skunks and raccoons can come right in for example. They are known to carry rabies. In the Frisco Bay Area, mountain lions are known to roam the streets at night and may go into people's backyards. Burglars can come from out of town, and if they see your back door is open, it is an open invitation to them. 

I'm in a quiet suburb of a large Texas city.  Both the dogs and cats use a doggy door.

What would I do? For how hard it must be to close a door, yes. I'd close the door.

Besides, If there are no visible signs of break-in, Insurance companies wont pay out following a burglary claim! So why take the risk?

• Rick

too risky, how about an upstairs window ??