Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Plato's point of view regarding the education of people seems to?

a. totally agree with what Socrates would say

b. agree with certain aspects of Socrates' point of view, but is also rather pessimistic

c. mostly agree with what Meletus and Thrasymachus would have said

d. agree somewhat with the theory of Euthryphro and Sophocles, and somewhat with the theory of Socrates

I believe it is choice b, but I just want to make sure. Any help is appreciated, thank you! :)

Thanks so much @anonymous for your unnecessary comment. I was just asking to FIRSTLY be sure that I was correct, and secondly, because I have grown a huge love for philosophy and have been doing PERSONAL research. You have absolutely no idea how my class is being run given that it is online and many professors are not responding to questions. Don't tell me to drop a course because I had a QUESTION. I stated what I thought was correct (and I WAS)...get out of your superiority complex. 

And nice touch with your "home economics" class comment you sexist pig. Luckily I'm on track to graduate a year early as a female STEM major. Jesus Christ, my apologies for asking a question. 

• j153e
    Favorite Answer

Plato's early dialogues are mostly Socrates-centric.

After those, he develops more of his own ideas.

In the Republic, he is developing his own ideas, and Socrates is more his Soc-puppet.

Plato's own ideas in the Republic include a perfected educational tracks system, in which each individual has her own "sorting hat" preferences, i.e. self-selects that which is interesting.

Plato posited that individuals were lifelong learners and doers, but not likely to move from military or business to philosopher-Guardian, so once chosen, one's life course is set.  In that sense, no Socratic dialogue between an expert businesswoman and a Guardian.

So, Plato changes considerably in the Republic from Socrates' expert and learner questioning; Guardians know it all, don't need to ask an accomplished businesswoman or soldier about anything.

However, Plato is somewhat pessimistic that his ideal society will continue; for that reason, in the midst of the Republic, he inserts three parables, about the Sun or the transcendent Good, about the increasing knowing along the Line of awareness, and about the person who rises from the matrix to see the Truth of the Sun, and who is not able to share this with his fellow cave dwellers.  In effect, the Cave is like the Republic gone bad, circling around without ever seeing the Light.

So, B, you're right.