can you install foreign wall outlets  for plugs?

11 Answers

  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Yes, it is physically possible. But where you live it might be illegal.

    The other thing to think about is voltage.  I assume you are in the USA, with 110 volts. Britain  and Europe work on 220/230/240 volts. Australia works on  240 volts. I think Japan works on 110 volts.

    You might even need to think about mains frequency for some electronic items. USA works on 60 hz (Japan also?), Europe and Britain work on 50 hz.

    Unless you have a huge number of foreign items to power up, just buy adaptors for the plugs.  So much simpler.

  • P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Short answer is definitely not.  

    Long answer is not without a transformer and new electrical panel.  This is because the electric comes in from the utility as two 120v hots in the USA.  While we can install an American 240v plug it won't work like the European one since the American plug will have two 120v hot leads and the euro plug needs a single 240v hot lead.  

  • Fred
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Likely if you bought power points that were designed for our power (240 volts or at least close) I suppose if they came from a country with similar rules on electrical fittings it would be legal.  I assume you don't have many appliances from the overseas country so maybe buying adapter plugs or making short extension cords with the foreign socket on the end.  Remember you may want to sell in the coming years and foreign power points may be off putting to potential buyers.

  • garry
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

    no , thats why they sell international adaptors  for , different voltage , australia  240 volt , europe 220 volt , england 240 volt , america and canada110 volt . china 220 volt .

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    If you mean the kind that use the two or three prongs instead of flat conductors, then no--it's probably illegal in most US locations. They do not meet the same code standards as American plugs--not because they are not as good electrically, but because they use different methods for directing the power. 

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    No, since they would just violate the code of that country.

  • 2 months ago

    If you can obtain them then yes you “can” but you shouldn't.

  • 2 months ago


  • 2 months ago

    That is not a good idea at all.  


    Adapters are available and cheap. 

  • 2 months ago

    That depends on your local electrical regulations and the normal & alternate outlet types.

    It may not be allowed at all, it may only be if the other outlets conform to certain standards, or there may be no rules.

    I would definitely not do it if the alternate outlets compromised safety in any way - eg. no earth/ground contact if the standard type have ground.

    Or, in a system such as used in the UK where every appliance plug has its own fuse built in, installing any type of outlet that took a non-fused plug - unless you also add an individual fuse for each outlet.

    And obviously both outlet types must be for the same voltage range - adding a 110 or 120V outlet to a 220 / 240V system would be asking for trouble!

    The safest way is just use a good quality, internally fused, travel adapter or voltage converter of the correct power rating.

    That gives you the alternate outlet type with no risk of overloads.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.