Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

What do I say when the family goes around the table and says what they’re thankful for this Thanksgiving when there nothing to and no family?

There will be no family there except my mom sister and I because of the pandemic and that’s us not being able to see anybody. There will also be absolutely nothing to say that we’re thankful for because 2020 has been a horrible year. My mother will say to be thankful we’re alive but I would much rather be dead and I know 2021 is going to be more of the same crap💩. 

So what do I say when that day comes? Do I just make up some thing like that we have a nice yard? 

Usually the whole family is their aunts uncles and my grandmother and cousins but this year the lobby quarantined in their own houses and my grandmother will be alone with my cousin.  Will probably all zoom but that’s just not the same thing and makes me even more depressed.  

Favorite Answer

Can you all survive without any celebration?

Anybody (besides you?) would be thankful for a number of things, including your mother's observation. When you are going around the table, do you intend to tell it like it is for you? That you would rather be dead, as you've said? That you expect nothing but crap ahead (as you have illustrated)?  If you really want an honest opinion, I'd suggest that you don't join them at the table, it will only bring the others down. Do NOT eat the thanksgiving feast. Do not be glad that you are still on the right side of the grass. Or that you are well.  Do not be glad that you aren't homeless, in a war torn state, cold, ill, or any other misfortune...that you are not being abused, molested or beaten, suffering some terrible disease. I could go on. But since you are so entrenched in feeling sorry for yourself and your incredibly negative attitude, do them a favor and stay in your room, order Pizza Man, "he delivers".

You really cannot think of anything to possibly be thankful for in the last year? That's really sad.