Can my baby have my last name if we are not married ?

Im mexican and I live in Mexico, my girl is a US citizen and she decided to have our baby in New Mexico, she asked over there if our baby could have my last name or at least have my name in our babys birth certificate. So thats why im asking right here if it possible or if there is something I gotta do, I cant apply for a visa right now.

5 Answers

  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    The mother can name the father on the birth certificate, and determine the name of the baby.

    IF she is planning to sponsor you for fiance/spouse visa in the future, make sure she pays ALL medical bills in full for herself & baby. NO use of Medicaid or any form of public assistance. To meet support requirements for sponsorship, she cannot have used any public assistance for a minimum of 3 years prior to filing for fiance/spouse visa, and must earn enough to fully support self, child (& all other dependents), plus you - with current year paystubs & her last 3 years of US income tax returns.

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Babies born in the US can have any name the parent(s) decide to give them (minus things like numbers and symbols). 

  • 2 months ago

    Sure.  It is quite possible in all places that I know about.

  • 2 months ago

    Of course the baby can. But it's the mother's choice, whether the baby is registered in her name or your name.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    It can be whatever she puts down on the registration.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.