Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesChevrolet · 2 months ago

What's the problem with my 2000 Chevy Impala?

The temp gauge ( above what it is normally) went up yesterday and again today even tough I have added coolant.

My mechanic couldn't find a leak in the reservoir and said he couldn't find any abnormalities.

Will perform a test in a couple of weeks. What might it be?

Favorite Answer

Take it to a better mechanic and pray that it's something simple like a external coolant leak. Because if it isn't then the head gasket might be blowing and it might be time to say goodbye to the car unless you want to put it a new engine. 

Make sure to check the coolant level in your radiator not just the reservoir tank. Replace the thermostat if there are no leaks.

• Eva

Check the oil. Low oil will cause the temp to go up.  Otherwise, it's normally a thermostat. Don't wait weeks to get it fixed. You can damage your engine.

• Barry

The thermostat is probably faulty. It's likely to have given up after 20 years. Remove it and suspend it in a pan of water on the stove. The stat should start to open well before the water boils and be fully open as it starts to simmer. If it remains shut or only partly open, invest in a shiny new one.