Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

bettyb
Lv 5
bettyb asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 8 months ago

What is your favorite slasher flick and why?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm hard pressed to pick a single favorite, so here are my top 5 (in no particular order):

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984). IMO, this isn't just the best Friday flick, it's a great slasher flick in general. The characters are more relatable, the story is tight (not counting the teleporting Jason lol), the kills are hardcore and Savini's FX were among his best slasher stuff.

The Burning (1981): This one actually has a ton of goofs, but it's still an effective and hardcore slasher flick with some great kills (the raft attack scene is a stunner), more of Savini's best slasher FX, and it features a number of future stars (Holly Hunter, Fisher Stevens, Jason Alexander) and other actors who went on to notable careers.

Stage Fright (1987): An Italian slasher about a killer in a giant owl mask who picks off a group of actors rehearsing a slasher musical in a locked theater overnight. Really fun flick, with colorful characters, amusingly hackneyed dialogue, and a high body count. Kinetic and amusingly gauche. The killer's giant owl mask may sound silly, but it's actually pretty creepy.

Black Christmas (1974). Not the first slasher (though many claim it is) but it does establish a lot of ground rules that would become common in future slasher films. Strong characterizations, legitimate tension and suspense, and a thrillingly tense finale make this one of the greats. Olivia Hussey's performance during the last fifteen minutes should be studied by all aspiring horror actresses.

Scream (1996): As a Generation Xer and lifelong horror fan, this flick spoke my language. It was a horror movie with characters who watched horror movies and knew all the rules. That meta approach may seem trite and tired now, but that hadn't really been done before Scream, or at least not to this extent. The characters are funny and relatable, the kills are nice and juicy, Wes Craven's direction is tight, there are moments of genuine suspense, and the opening sequence is among the best in the sub-genre. 

My two cents. Times five.

• 8 months ago

Hellraiser (1987)

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

I wouldn't waste my precious time watching any of that garbage.  

• 8 months ago

Dream home (Ho-Cheung Pang). Because it's well done, unusual and surely you haven't seen it yet. A bit like "You're next" :)

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Black Christmas. It's scarier than any other one.

• Dformd
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The Collector because its eye candy

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

The Midnight Meat Train, it stars Bradley Cooper before he became famous.

• ?
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

Valentine, because it's fun and has great style.

• Webbo
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Friday the 13th : The final chapter (1984).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.