Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Does à in French mean both 'in' and 'to'?

Je habite à London.  This means I live IN London.

Je vais à le parc.  This means I'm going TO the park.

In both cases, 'à' was used.  Does 'à' have different meanings depending on the sentence?

Favorite Answer

_ You need to say: 

'' J'habite à Londres '' /  I live in London ''.

The pronouns Je, le, la, me, te, se, elide in front of a silent h, i.e. they take the form j', l', m', t' and s' as if the h were invisible and the pronoun was directly in front of a vowel (a, e, i, o, u, y).

___________________________

The preposition ' à / to ' is used with feminine place names when it is not a person. - Exemples:

_ Je vais à la plage /I'm going to the beach. 

_ Il va à la boulangerie / He goes to the bakery.

* But:

_ Je vais au parc.The preposition 'au' is used with place names in the masculine form, when it is not a person. Like in your second example ( je vais au parc).Another exemple:_  Il va au boulodrome / He goes to the bowling alley.Thus the preposition ' à ' to contract into: ' au ', when one wants to say: ' à le ', or into ' aux ' instead of: ' à les '. Ex for this last case: 

_ Je vais aux USA / I'm going to the USA. ( USA is plural, that is why it's ' aux ', and not ' au ' ... 

• John P

Indeed different meanings. As you progress further in any language you will find instances of words needing several words in a different language, and other words needing two or three words in English.

For instance: Jesus saves, a paramedic saves, I save money in a bank, lifeboat crews save lives at sea. In many other languages different words translate 'save' in those different types of events.