do food companies add sugar to vegetables like carrots now?

i felt outraged just now as i cooked those carrots you buy in the packet that you cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, to have with some cod fish.....and the carrots tasted quite sweet?

i don't remember carrots tasting so sweet when i was a boy in the 1980's? is it a conspiracy, do food companies now add sugar to natural vegetables? if they do they are true bastards.

why is sugar in everything now.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

This is fairly common.  Sugar makes foods sweeter and most people like that.  I don't know if they still do it, but fast food restaurants used to soak their lettuce in sugar so their salads tasted better.

This is why - whenever possible - we should work with FRESH unprocessed foods .. even vegetables.  It only takes 10 minutes to steam carrots. If you coat them lightly with olive oil and roast them, they will be sweeter because all roasted veggies taste sweeter.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why would you not cook Fresh? 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

READ the labels, They even add sugar to the Salt boxes.

Sugar and Salt are added to everything.

Be Careful though. Some CHEAT by using "Servings" instead of Total content.

Using "Servings" can reduce the Sugar &/or Salt levels below the required FDA listing.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Idiot wants to know if the carrots they bought have added sugar and asks on Yahoo instead of reading the damn bag. 

Snowflake of the day right here, folks. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You've got two things going on.  Firstly, fruit and vegetables have been bred to be sweeter as that's supposedly what the consumer wants.  They're definitely sweeter than when I was a kid and that's not just my changing tastebuds.  The second point pertains to carrots in particular.  During certain times of year carrots are sweeter than others.  A late summer carrot is much sweeter than a winter carrot.  If you're finding them too sweet cooked right now try eating them raw instead as cooking them intensifies the sweetness, or you can cook them along with swedes and potatoes and make a mash from all three.  The sweetness of the carrot will balance out the "cabbage-iness" of the swede. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.