Is it necessary to learn binary when you get into coding or robotics?

You are right Eddiej. I don't want to be a programmer. Ok. Thanks for pointing it out. But I am interested in learning it as a hobby. What's wrong with that. It's my life. Congratulations.

• User
    Favorite Answer

It's still pretty essential that you learn the principles of binary logic.

Since there's not much to it, that shouldn't be a problem.

• 4 days ago

definitely not, unless you want to look cool

Not necessarily although knowing binary does help

• VP

It comes with the territory, I'd say.

- Binary

- Decimal

- Hexadecimal

Learn all 3!

You may or may not need to learn Binary, it is totally up to you and the types of things that you are going to be wanting to be able to do, But I would highly recommend that you learn Binary !

Source(s): your cmd. programming

no. you dont need to learn any computerese.

depends on what you buy.

Hi, Kitty.

Do you know that there are 10 different kinds of people:

those who understand binary,

and those who don't.

• EddieJ

If you think that you will have difficulty learning binary then computer programming is probably not something you should do as a job.  

It seems that the fact that you even asked this question is probably evidence that you really don't want to be a programmer.  In other words, it seems like you are looking for an excuse.

If it's a yes-no question then that's binary!

Not necessarily.

I know, i know. It’s an unpopular opinion; but hear me out.

I’ll guide you through one of my hobbyist level robotics project that require minimal programming, but expertise in many mechanical engineering stuff!

This is the *pipe crawling robot *that i made during my bachelors.

It can crawl inside cylindrical pipes and inspect it’s interior using a camera mounted on top (not shown in the image). Six wheels attached to motors drive the robot forward and backwards inside the pipe.

It comes with a lot of design functionalities like adaptability to different pipe diameters etc, but I’m not diving into it now.

Believe me or not, most of the time that i spent on him was on manufacturing, and then on design, and very little on programming!

During the design phase, i had to come up with dimensions of all the linkages of the mechanism so that the robot would move exactly as i wanted.

Look at this mess!

At the end, the CAD model looked like this.

This is usually followed by a stress-strain analysis aimed to find the weakest points in the design. It might look something like this (image from another project of mine).

You would have noticed that the CAD model and the real robot looks a bit different! This is the hard part about robotics; things that work in simulation might not work in real. So the design gets adapted somewhere in between!

That’s where manufacturing techniques come in. Since i was designing for strength, those linkages were made of metal which pushed the manufacturing process harder into serious amounts of cutting, drilling, welding, filing, shaping, boring, grinding, and of course a lot of jugaad.

Too much work that i broke the cutting machine in the production lab and was banned for a week!

You see, so much of work in robotics is taken up by the design and the manufacturing process. Of course, programming is important, but for so many robotics projects, it isn't!

To be fair, I did program the robot a bit for a joystick control. However, that’s not really necessary. All you need is a power supply and a switch for it to unwind its magic!

I have built quite some robots like this that require almost zero programming, but requires a lot of mechanical engineering skills. I have seen my friends at ETH Zurich build amazing robotics designs with zero programming. Doing it requires different set of skills including knowledge about machine design, strength of materials, dynamics of machinery, manufacturing technology and a lot of hands-on expertise with real mechanical stuff!

So yeah, if you are someone passionate about robotics and love mechanisms and machines, then get into robotics through mechanical engineering!

The entire world of mechanics and machines, soft robotics etc are waiting for you!