Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

How to rebuild my relationship with my horse?

Just a few hours ago, I was riding alone. My horse was an ex-racehorse and is very angsty, can be jumpy, and goes into a gallop often and is very strong. But overall, she is a sweetie and would never unintentionally hurt me.

But just a few hours ago, I noticed that after going over a few jumps, the saddle was starting to tilt to the side. I'd done up the girth as tight as I usually do. 

I took her over to a clearing and was planning on quickly dismounting and tightening up her girth. Before I could get there, the whole saddle slipped off. I was hanging off the side and she panicked. She ran through the whole orchard nearby, leaping over the arena fence, something she'd never done before. She then ran into the barb-wired electric fence, taking me with her. Eventually, I feel off, but she and I are both bleeding. She seems to be to be scared of me, and I really want to rebuild our great relationship that we had.

Okay, no one is believing the story. More context. I never said that we were bleeding out buckets of blood. I know how to saddle my horse. My mother was also there while I was saddling her, and my mother has been riding for 20 odd years now, and she said it looked fine. I always do jumping with her and nothing ever happened. The barb wire fence is the neighbours', not ours. She hasn't galloped for two years now. There. My horse is healing really well now, the vet just put ointment on it.

About the galloping. When her old owners had her, she galloped a lot. But when I got her, my mother and I trained her until she stopped. She started going over jumps and regaining her confidence, so that's why the incident was so surprising to all of us. The arena fence isn't overly tall, so it was easy for her to jump over, but we'd trained her not to do that, and she never did. The vet said that we got extremely lucky, the ointment is working well. She's stressed, but not seriously injured.

Favorite Answer

maybe take her for walks, she can walk next to you. Can u take her to the beach/water. She might like going for a swim/ride in the water. Give her some brushing and personal care. give her healthy treats.

First off- I don't know why people are being so mean about this. Sure it's a nightmare situation, but It seems totally possible to me. 

Secondly- try just standing close to her and petting her. Tell her good girl if she doesn't walk away, pet her, give her some apple slices or other healthy treats to encourage her to want to be near you more. Then once she's comfortable with that try just walking her around with just her halter on. Give lots of positive reinforcement and be quiet and gentle. Once she's brave enough try riding again, maybe just walking bareback with only a bareback pad and a bridle on. Depending on how stressed and afraid she is it might take a while to be back to jumping, but I'm sure you'll get there eventually! 

• Snezzy

That you have asked anonymously suggests that z666 is correct in her suspicion of poor fiction. If your story is not fiction then you need to stop jumping. Several things are going against you:

- OTTB -- wrong horse

- "goes into a gallop" -- riding out of control, that's YOU not the horse

- "whole saddle slipped off" -- learn how to saddle your horse better

- "panicked" -- train your horse for bad situations

- jumping -- you should not be doing this at all

- barbed wire -- horses should not be anywhere near barbed wire

I asked my wife what she thought of your question. She, who once owned an OTTB, said, "She's full of horse manure." Actually she used a more uncouth expression which I shan't put here, as YA has delicate ears.

>>more<< 

Electrified barbed wire? Nobody does that except for difficult livestock such as bulls. Why? Well, it's hard enough to install a good electric fence or a good barbed-wire fence. Ever try installing barbed wire? 

If this is for a story, then no, it isn't believable.

Otherwise, find a trainer and get some help.  This horse is too much for you.

Better yet, find her a new home and get yourself a sane horse.