Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Other - Destinations · 2 months ago

Australian going to see American boyfriend, what should I write on travel exemption? ?

Hi, please just positive and helpful only. I have just booked my flights from Australia to America to see my overseas boyfriend who has not been coping well with the pandemic. I will be isolating at his home and staying for 3 months. I need to apply for the exemption and I’m not sure what to say. I know it isn’t the best reason to be travelling however we don’t know how long this will go on for and we will be being extremely safe. What should I say? 

I also have some work that I need to do for our American partners so it would also be a business trip 

There is no overseas travel.   He will be ok, just use skype to communicate with him.  

• Foofa

This is a conundrum as traveling to "see a boyfriend" will get you excluded as an overstay risk and claiming to travel "for business" without having the proper visa will also be an issue. I'd ask your employer to provide you with the documentation you'd need to make this a business trip. 

You're not exempt. So you have no valid claim for exemption. 

Nothing you have told us seems to fit any of the reasons a person can be given an exemption. https://www.covid19/homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-aus...

See the list of reasons under 'Australians and Permanent Residents' and note where it says you must provide evidence to support your reason for getting an exemption. I'd like to be positive and helpful, but all the positive and helpful in the world isn't likely to persuade the Australian government to break its own rules. And with the way Americans seem to be dealing with covid, not to mention the riots and so on in more than a few places, I wouldn't go there right now if you paid me to.

DO NOT say that you are visiting your boyfriend! That's a signal that you might plan to stay. Put down the business as the reason for your trip. 

i would ask your boyfriend what you should say