Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 2 months ago

Are steel tie railway tracks used just in the UK or are they also used in the USA and other parts of the world?

I had to research this!

The reason steel sleepers are not used more frequently is that maintenance costs are higher. The problems of corrosion and chemical stability being the primary cause. There is also an insolation problem. It seems rail wheels on steel rails generate a lot of static electricity that if left unaddressed causes electrolytic deterioration.

For reference:

http://www.railway-fasteners.com/news/railway-slee...

Steel sleepers aren't used in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter.  Steel is only used as a reinforcement in slab track construction.

The USA uses mainly wood but there are some places that have rubber.  

I have NEVER seen steel sleepers (rail ties) being used on UK railways. That’s not a claim that they aren’t used here, just an assertion that they are not commonly seen.

In the UK we use concrete and timber. Overwhelmingly.

• John P

By ties I assume you mean 'sleepers' as we call them in the UK - the flattish things every few feet which hold the rails apart at the correct distance from each other. ('Ties' in the USA)

In the 1950s in the UK the sleepers were mainly wood. Nowadays they are concrete. At the moment I cannot think that I have seen steel sleepers in the UK.

Later: I have just walked 20 mins each way to our local railway bridge (You should be so lucky - I needed the exercise) and I can tell you for certain that the main line between Cheltenham and Gloucester has concrete sleepers. Some appear newish, maybe 2 years. Others seem about 10 years old.

• Bill

I’ve seen steel sleepers in India.  They mostly use concrete sleepers but I did see some steel ones. 

While steel lasts 2 to 3 times longer than Wood.

But, in my area they use  prestressed concrete,

https://www.science.gov/topicpages/p/prestressed+c...