How likely is it to get pregnant if you miss one birth control pill, but have taken it perfectly in the past? (Every day, at same time, etc)?

And this is when using no other forms of birth control and him not pulling out 

Thanks for the answers guys. I had dropped my birth control pill down the drain as I was getting water to take it with (out of alllll places for it to fall that’s where it went🤣) anyways I’m 20 so if I did get pregnant me and my bf are ready for it, we’re not super young and both want kids. I was just curious how much higher the risk was as I’ve never missed a pill before. Either way I’m not too worried about it :) 

Favorite Answer

The right thing to do is to take the pill as soon as you realize you missed it - even if it means taking two on that next day.

Once you realize you missed it, the next right thing to do is to either not have sex for the next seven days OR to use a condom for the next seven days as a back-up method just in case.  Any sex before the missed pill really doesn't matter since ovulation is NOT going to happen the INSTANT you missed that pill.  So, what you do AFTER missing it is more important than what you did BEFORE you missed it.

If you are on a combination birth control pill, the chances of failure is still very low.   It usually takes missing two to cause failure and even then, there is only a 25% chance of pregnancy if you would ovulate.  (even women actively trying to become pregnant only have a 25% chance during any cycle).  If you are on the mini pill, the chances of failure are a little higher and using backup protection would be more important on the mini pill.

The pill is 99% effective and the main reason for pregnancy to happen is because of missing pills or not following directions for the pill.  Don't let the answer from Carrosh scare you into thinking your pill will fail even if you are taking it correctly.  You don't need to "get tested regularly anyways."  

Reading the information that comes with the pill will help you understand all the things that might make your pill less effective and what you should do to help avoid or correct those things.  (certain medications make some pills less effective.)

• MissA

Minimal.  Missing a single pill doesn’t increase your odds of pregnancy. 

There's always a risk if you miss a pill, and even if taking all pills (they are not 100% proof). When you're taking BC you should get tested regularly anyways.

• J

Usually, missing one pill won’t have any negative effect. If you miss 3 or more, you should use condoms until you’ve been able to take the pills correctly for 7 days. It depends on the pill though. Read the pamphlet that comes with the pills. 

• Jill

Not likely but not impossible. If you resumed taking it as normal you really shouldn't be worried.  

@Petter - women taking birth control don't get their period because they don't ovulate.  

Unlikely.

________

• Expat

Not likely to get pregnant but be more careful. 

• Petter

Probably highly depends on how much sex you have, and when you have it in correlation to your period.