Funny but unknown comedies from 30s,40s,50s,60s,70s?

Update:

Mc: Not quite into the marx/abbot/chaplin from then only 3 stooges stand the test.

Update 2:

Saw neighbors /leaf.

Update 3:

You certainly dont but others do.

Update 4:

That long list I will check the Cagney ones definitely, and a few like Whats up Doc , checked many of those already.

Update 5:

All the "shorts" comedians of the 30s-40s only stooges make me laugh.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Funny is somewhat personal preferences as there are many forms of comedies. If they are unknown, they are generally impossible to find. I'm going to answer with a somewhat long list of "forgotten underappreciated lesser known today" comedies.

- To Be or Not to Be (1942) During the Nazi occupation of Poland, an acting troupe becomes embroiled in a Polish soldier's efforts to track down a German spy. Carole Lombard, Jack Benny.

- Paper Moon (1973) Comedy/Crime/Drama - During the Great Depression, a con man finds himself saddled with a young girl who may or may not be his daughter, and the two forge an unlikely partnership. Director: Peter Bogdanovich, - Ryan O'Neal, Tatum O'Neal, Madeline Kahn

- One, Two, Three (1961) In West Berlin during the Cold War, a Coca-Cola executive is given the task of taking care of his boss' socialite daughter. Director: Billy Wilder - Stars: James Cagney

- Auntie Mame (1958) An orphan goes to live with his free-spirited aunt. Conflict ensues when the executor of his father's estate objects to the aunt's lifestyle. Stars: Rosalind Russell, Forrest Tucker.

- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) In 1900, a young widow finds her seaside cottage is haunted and forms a unique relationship with the ghost. Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison

- Breaking Away (1979) A small-town boy obsessed with the Italian cycling team vies for the affections of a college girl. Dennis Christopher, Dennis Quaid

- What's Up, Doc? (1972) The accidental mix-up of four identical plaid overnight bags leads to a series of increasingly wild and wacky situations. Barbra Streisand, Ryan O'Neal, Madeline Kahn

- The Odd Couple (1968) Two friends try sharing an apartment, but their ideas of housekeeping and lifestyles are as different as night and day. Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau

- The Music Man (1962) Comedy/Musical - Harold Hill poses as a boys' band leader to con naive Iowa townsfolk. Robert Preston, Shirley Jones, Buddy Hackett

- Mister Roberts (1955) - In the waning days of World War II, the United States Navy cargo ship Reluctant and her crew are stationed in the "backwater" areas of the Pacific Ocean. Trouble ensues when the crew members are granted liberty. Henry Fonda, James Cagney, William Powell

- The Producers (1967) A stage-play producer devises a plan to make money by producing a sure-fire flop. Zero Mostel, Gene Wilder, Dick Shawn. Was re-made with a different cast in 2005, but not as well made.

- No Time for Sergeants (1958) Will Stockdale is a country bumpkin drafted into the Air Force and too dumb to realize he's driving everyone around him crazy, no one more than Sergeant King. - Andy Griffith

- Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969) In the old west, a man becomes a Sheriff just for the pay, figuring he can decamp if things get tough. In the end, he uses ingenuity instead. James Garner, Joan Hackett, Walter Brennan

- The Party (1968) A clerical mistake results in a bumbling Indian film star being invited to an exclusive Hollywood party instead of being fired. Peter Sellers

- It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963), Murder by Death (1976), The In-Laws (1979), Slap Shot (1977), A Night at the Opera (1935), A Day at the Races (1937), Horse Feathers (1932), Love and Death (1975), Play It Again, Sam (1972), Take the Money and Run (1969), Sleeper (1973)

• 2 months ago

Marx Brothers and Chaplin are not  unknowns but considered among the Greatest of all time so you might mean unknown to you. Anything by Buster  Keaton, Mae West, WC Fields his most well known is The Bank Dick. The most famous scene of Cagney is his smashing a piece of pie into his girlfriend's face.but he is known more for his gangster movies than as a comedian though that scene was in a gangster movie. Laurel; and Hardy are a real gas. The Flying Deuces but anything by them is worth watching. Then later there is Abbot and Costello my favorite is a skit  about The Susquahanna Hat Company on Fleugel st. i can watch it any time though I have seen it many times and still end up in tears laughing. Their most famous skit is whose on first. Their full length films are okay but I prefer the skits. Bob Hope and Red Skelton are okay but not my favorites. Don Rickles has a crude insulting comedy style sort of like Trump.  My favorite Chaplin is his short film Easy Street

• 2 months ago

Neighbors (1981), A new leaf (1971), I don't think completely unknown, but not really famous, and I find them very funny.

• 2 months ago

City Lights......one of Chaplins Best. 

Everyone always talks about Modern Times, or Gold Rush.......

but City Lights, was a masterpiece. 

but hardly "unknown".......any film buff would have heard of it, or seen it,  but people today may have never seen it. 

The Times of their LIves.   Ditto......an Abbott and Costello classic, and one of their more serious movies......not all slapstick. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

SO how would we know about them??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.