Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

Now that patients are being reinfected with the coronavirus does it mean that a vaccine will not help for more than a few months?

Today in Nevada patient has been reinfected with the coronavirus. My mother had the virus in April and so I thought she was safe to be around but now I’m scared ever see her again.  

Favorite Answer

first of all, this Nevadan case would be the 4th case of reinfection with COVID-19 among 24+ million confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide.. a 4th case after one confirmed case of reinfection in Hong Kong, 2 cases (still under investigation) in Scandinavia and 1 (very recent) case in the US among 16,107,859 cases that had recovered from COVID-19 (that's 0.00024% of cases that had recovered from COVID-19 first time).. 16,107,855 people worldwide did NOT get re-infected with COVID-19 for the second time..

yes, there are other cases mentioned in the news but they were an extension of the first infection and were not a second re-infection = meaning that the person was actually recovering from COVID-19, discharged from the hospital but started to have symptoms after discharge from the same initial infection.. and unfortunately, the media initially claimed that they were a second reinfection cases, but later turned out to be false..

second.. COVID-19 vaccines (yes pleural) are said to activate both humeral and cellular immunity (both T-cells and B-cells immunity).. and even if the antibodies count were low soon after the infection, the Memory B & T cells remain in our system for decades and for years, and ready to be activated and produce antibodies much faster than normal rates.. if someone already has COVID-19, it is unlikely that he/she would benefit from the vaccine in the short run.. vaccines are mainly to help people who did not get COVID-19 before; and it is an important tool to fight off COVID-19 along with other tools like hand-washing, mask wearing, social distancing, crowd avoidance.. etc etc etc.. even after a vaccine is made available for general use, governments around the world, would still recommend all those things until the COVID-19 cases are in single digits at each individual country..

third, any national vaccine program will fail, if many people refuse to be vaccinated in the name of freedom and pseudoscience, if they refused to follow basic recommendations by local health departments, and if people continue to be sceptical about everything that doctors and experts say.. and unfortunately, the media often publish the sensation news and ignore basic science.. it confuses people, it shakes their beliefs in science and in long term solutions like vaccines..`

`

`

it makes me angry to see media being dishonest about things that they do not fully understand..

• jason

I have a feeling that the virus will keep mutating more and more with each new vaccine that gets put out there. More testing should be done before being released. I feel its being rushed too fast and making things worse.

• John P

Instances or re-infection are very small in number so far, so nobody can really say how any vaccine might be affected by possible re-infection.

I think it would be important to address the fact that a vaccine is not a 100% solid preventative measure. You can still get the flu if you have a flu shot but you are likely to have a reduced chance of catching it and you are likely to experience milder symptoms as a result.

I don't think it works like that, and you should cover your face when you are near people. Because you won't know who is infected, and who is not infected.

A vaccine may help, but from what I read it may be possible that you could still get infected if you were to go near someone else who is infected without covering your face. I think covering your entire body would be better though.

I read that the vaccine is still in the trial phase, and it could either do 1 of two different things.

• Jim

Vaccine is going to be useless in my opinion. 

First of all they say it will be 50-60 % effective meaning you will never know if you are immune. Immunity may only last a few months and this disease unlike the seasonal flu is not seasonal,  it's 365 days of the year. 100 degrees above or 30 degrees below and it's still going. And the new D614G mutation is more contagious and 70% of all cases, now the leading dominant strain.

And you said the nasty word 're-infection' to make it all worse. I'm wearing a giant full body condom with a snorkeling device so if you see a big &=%@$ walking around, it's me.  

The possibility of being reinfected has been talked about for months now because of the type of virus. This doesn't mean a vaccine won't be effective. It will most likely be the same as the flu vaccine where each year they make a good guess at which strains of flu will be the worst and make a vaccine to ward off that/those flu strains. 

I think once they get a vaccine for the corona virus they will be able to make vaccines for other strains. This virus is here to stay. We need to learn to live with it. 

I don't think you need to be afraid to see your mother again. She doesn't have the virus anymore and she might have less of a chance of catching a new strain than you. I read that at this point reinfection is rare. 

It means that if you had it and recover you can get it again.  We don't know how helpful a vaccine will be.

Correct, there will never be a vaccine as this is how the world is going to be from now on or at least for the next 10 years. I’ve already told my son who’s a freshman in high school, starting a sophomore year next month, to prepare to be online the rest of high school and not have a graduation except online. I told him if we’re really careful we might have it under control by the time he graduates from college and maybe his last year or two of college can be in college rather than from home. In the meantime we just have to except the New World.