Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 months ago

If Nazi's invaded Britain and occupied it what would have happened to Ireland the Irish Free State?

I am Irish but if the British lost the Battle of Britain would Hitler allowed United Ireland to govern itself with Nazi U boats having access to the Irish ports?

spock rhp because have no other option.

Favorite Answer

they'd likely have joined the Nazi cause

That’s an interesting one as around 80,000 irish were serving in the British Army in WW2 and the war industries in the UK provided jobs for many irish men and women. 

I don't think there is much historical record of Nazi intentions towards the Irish Free State. I might assume that Hitler would have wanted to take it over and complete his portfolio in the British Isles.

Then some in Ireland would have rejoiced. And many more would not.