Lv 7
asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 3 months ago

what is the cheapest and best thing to clean walls with before painting them?

something like white vinegar maybe? or how important is it to clean the dirt off the walls before repainting?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

TSP, or ammonia, especially if the walls are very dirty or greasy. Vinegar would be fine if they're not all that dirty, as would plain water on a microfibre cloth. If the walls aren't very dirty at all, you don't even need to clean them. Just dust them.

• bill
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

I've had best luck with just mild dish soap and water.

• F
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Sugar soap.     

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

dish soap and sponge...  its the coats that come after that matters..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Agree with the people who have posted:  Trisodium Phosphate or TSP is the best wall-cleaner for painted walls. 

• 3 months ago

Trisodium phosphate. 

• Ann
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

You can clean them with white vinegar, and then paint over that with a layer of Kilz before using wall paint on them.  Be sure the walls are dry in between everything you do.

• A
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

You want to be sure to clean off any grease or oil or the paint won't stick.  I wash mine down with hot water with a little lemon ammonia in it.  Scuffs and small marks should be fine as the paint will cover them.

• 3 months ago

It's important to clean anything before painting, else you will trap the dirt under the paint.  Most walls can be cleaned with warm water & a sponge.  If the wall is greasy then use a grease cutting soap followed by a warm water rinse ... you don't want soap trapped under the paint either.  You don't need to "scrub" the wall, it's more like you're "dusting" the wall to get the surface dirt off.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.