Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsVolleyball · 2 months ago

Why do volleyball players (especially females) cover their shorts?

This may sound like a dumb question, and I apologize if it does, but why do some volleyball players, especially the females, have their shorts covered? Or are they actually not wearing any shorts or pants at all? Because especially at my school, I see the girls’ volleyball team wearing these long shirts, but no shorts are visible. Are they not wearing any shorts at all, or do they just like to cover them with long shirts? If they are covered, why do they like to do that?

I’m a male, and if I was playing volleyball, would I not wear shorts or pants, or would I just wear the long shirts to cover up my shorts? Or would I just wear what I normally wear?

Equipment and fashion trends seem to vary and repeat through the years, so this could just be a fashion trend.  Or it could be a form of "protest" because somebody complained that their shorts were too short.

When I was in high school people still didn't wear spandex but girls shorts were getting shorter and shorter.  When parents complained that the girls were "showing too much skin" my high school team "protested" by changing to baggy "board shorts" in bright neon patterns.

We seem to be in a phase where females in volleyball and track & field are wearing shorts that are little more than bikini bottoms that show a good deal of "cheek"...so it could be that your team wanted to wear those without attracting any complaints.

volleyball is a beach sport.  most of the time they wont be wearing shorts...but volleyball in particular has very short short shorts.

Girls and women have different proportions from guys.  In particular, their torso is shorter.  So a standard T-shirt, if not tucked in, will cover shorts.