English Learner's Question: hardly daring to...?

Could you help me understand the following sentence?

I raised my head, hardly daring to hope that my senses had not duped me afresh...

The combination of "hardly" and "not" confuses me. Is the narrator feeling that his senses has been duped again? Or is he sure that his senses are NOT duped this time? I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

If you hardly dare to believe something, it's because it would be a very good thing if it's true but there is reason to doubt it. "We hardly dare to believe that Trump will soon be gone from our lives." It really doesn't matter whether the subordinate clause contains "not."

More simply, but less dramatically, you could write that idea as: I raised my head and assumed that my senses had not duped me afresh.

The narrator of the story was thankful that his senses had NOT fooled him again. He would not be thankful if his senses HAD fooled him again.

Note that it was not the narrator who was doing, or not doing, the fooling, it was his senses which were, or were not, fooling him.

He was anxious that his senses might once again be misleading him.

It is like saying: "Don't say it!" when it might be tempting fate.

• ?

The person raising his head was scarcely (hardly) able that his Z's ended had not duped him once again.

He  appears unsure but it's true he has concentration about the fact , so often he dares to hope that he has yet not been cheated once again.

Thanks....