How can artists generate income online?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I've done marketing jobs for a few independent artists... so:

#1 Get yourself a website to show off your work. This is the MOST important.  This serves as an ANCHOR in searches. When people 'look' for you, they will look on line and if the only place they find you is your personal Facebook page, you will not get the audience you deserve.

#2 Make certain that you are set up to sell not just your original, but PRINTS also.  AND you need to make certain that  when people order prints, they are high quality and can be shipped DIRECTLY to your customer.   Order one before you set up an account with the company.  You will get to see the quality and the shipping speed and the packing.  Three of the people I work with use a company called 'Easy Canvas Prints'.  You may find a better one.

#3 Put 'Buy Now' buttons on your web page so people can buy your work.

#4 After you set up your web page, make a dedicated Facebook page for your art, and set up on Deviant art and other art websites.  People can order your prints there AND it gives you an SEO boost.

#5 Do craft fairs and art shows.  You probably won't get a chance this year, so plan for next year.

#6 Approach independent art brokers like Louis Leonard Art  and Art.com and submit your art to them.  If they like you they will give you a contract and feature your art on their website.  Once your art is there, they will make your art available to places like Wayfair, Overstock and Houzz.

#7 Donate your art to public places, schools and shops.

#8 Get your local government to have 'local art' featured in displays in the court house lobby.  If you can arrange for rotating art shows with 3 or 4 featured artists every month, you can get YOUR ART in the rotation.

#9 Get someone like me ( a friend, a partner, a parent...hire someone if you have to...) to do marketing, research, promotion and SEO for you.

#10  One of the people I work with said they read a book called ' Now You can Work From Home' that told them how to set up an on line gallery.  So they did. Find that book.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Don't let people know you are a con artist.

• 2 months ago

Troubled times are always the best time to buy art. There's a lot of 'student' art sites online. The only problem is there's way to many and few of those pieces will ever be worth much. Not trying to discourage here but still want you to know the realities. Most people that are serious buyers want a piece that goes up in value so they buy from commissioned artists with a track record. An artist with fine university credentials and training under an instructor in a specific style of art is always in demand. 

• 2 months ago

Have art that people want to buy!  I know that sounds like a simple statement, but that's the only way ANY artist can generate income--by having art people want to own. It's up to the artist to publicize their artwork--and many use social media, or utilize online selling tools that contact people to be able to view the artworks and purchase them. Some get help from word of mouth. But it's never an easy task, and it's always hit or miss as far as sales. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Redbubble. Artists sell their work on there 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

artists can get an actual job probably in programming. hope it doesnt stress out that "special" mind "artists" have.

• garry
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

simple by being a good artist , after all the market decides ..

• John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I came across a portrait artist with an online business a few weeks ago.  People would just email him a photo of someone they wanted an artistic rendition of.  The artist would then work up a portrait in whatever medium the client wanted.  The finished work would then be shipped to the client.  

• Embery
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

By generating art.

• danxp2
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Selling commissions or premade art pieces on websites like Etsy, via your own website you create with wix, via social media platforms, and places like only fans.

• 2 months ago

1)  Selling their art.

2)  Private Commissions

3)  Graphic design work for businesses

I am not an artist but these are some ideas that I thought of.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.