Thoughts on the death metal band Obituary?

The end complete (1992) is their best album

Obituary are a great Death Metal band. 

I like them to an extent, some songs more than others, but I would also agree that they're not something to listen to for something insanely dynamic or unique. They mainly get alot of kudos for just being around the death metal scene when it was still very underground and unpopular back in the day, so any death metal band you heard back then that was even somewhat decent (Obituary being one of them) was "the sh!t"

They're probably Swedish.

In my opinion they are a sort of death metal Motorhead, they haven't many ideas ("we're dying ... for our souls to learn"), and they carry them out very crudely and coherently. The first 4 album are all unmissable, and Cause of death is their best one, a masterpiece for sound and intentions. Maybe Obituary are not in the best 10 death metal bands? For sure CoD is among the best 10 death metal albums, a thing like that :)

even the most recent self-titled is not bad, and "Slowly we rot" another vademecum of death metal. John Tardy one of my favorite DM singer. Together wiith Petrov, van Drunen, Schuldiner, Walker, Lindberg (yes, I like a lot the scream in death metal, when is good)

• ?

-They make probably the most boring classic death metal of anyone.  

-They have the most obnoxious snare sound on 'Cause of Death'

-I almost feel like they started making music as a joke and kept with it after it became profitable

-John Tardy's voice is pretty cool on some songs