Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetWikipedia · 2 months ago

Why is one the most popular website Wikipedia asking for donations instead of postings ads ?

Favorite Answer

Wikipedia wants to remain ad free and I wish them luck. I donate about once every two years because I also donate to the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) as well. If you use both, please help to keep them ad free. $5 every two years helps and it's not even the cost of a good coffee.

The Wikimedia Foundation is attempting to take advantage of gullible users.  They do not need money.  Their net fund balance is well over $100 million dollars.  Wikipedia is run by the administrators who, star struck with the idea that they can be intolerant petty dictators, are willing to work for free.  They do not need money.

• Lv 7

the donations help keep it free of ads.

and anyways, how would ads be any different to you than asking for donations.

Because by not taking ads, they are not indebted to any organization and can strive for truth. If you use the site frequently, I encourage donating a few dollars.

Because more and more people are using AdBlock.

• Robin

I hope no one donates and it closes as it full of rubbish. It gets facts changed for opinions all the time

because they want to be AD-FREE.