Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Can I write "from the book named '______' with brackets after I mention the writer's name of a quote? ?

"Life is not about finding yourself, life is about making yourself." 

George Bernard Snow 

(from the book named "one time") 

Can I write like this ↑? 

(George did write any book named "one time") 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • blank
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Here is the generally accepted ways to do in-text citations.  Remember this only works IF your audience already knows the book and/or author in question.

IF you are writing a paper and drawing from sources supporting your position, but may not be known to your readership, then it would seem appropriate to use a more formal footnote and bibliography reference.

Hope this helps.  

In MLA, in-text citations are inserted in the body of your research paper to briefly document the source of your information. Brief in-text citations point the reader to more complete information in the works cited list at the end of the paper.    In-text citations include the last name of the author followed by a page number enclosed in parentheses.    "Here's a direct quote" (Smith 8).    If the author's name is not given, then use the first word or words of the title. Follow the same formatting that was used in the works cited list, such as quotation marks.    This is a paraphrase ("Trouble" 22).    If the author is mentioned in context, you do not need to repeat it in the in-text citation. Include the page number (if available) enclosed in parentheses.    According to Smith, "here's a direct quote" (8).    "Trouble" uses a signal phrase (22). Note: The period goes outside the brackets, at the end of your in-text citation.

• 2 months ago

You can do that, but the usual informal way is to put '(George Bernard Snow, One Time)' after your quote. If you're writing a formal paper, there are other ways to do it, such as putting the page and paragraph number after the name of the book. That way, people know that One Time is not a poem.

• RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure, you can, but that's not the typical way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.