Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 months ago

Covid cancelled my prom, what can I do to get over it?

My prom was completely cancelled due to corona 🦠 and now the school told us we don’t get a prom.

The kind of dancing seen on dancing with the stars is so elegant and I really want to see that kind of dancing in real life.

I will likely never get the chance to attend a prom and I really want to experience being there to see the elegant dancing at least somehow?

What can I do to get over missing prom?

A prom is nothing like dancing with the stars or high school movies which suck anyway! Apparent you sound like one of the spoiled brats that were going, however, you now part of the vast amount that wouldn't have a date so wouldn't attend, so just suck it up as they would have had to! 

• Fred

The dancing at a high school prom isn't the elegant dance you envision!

That form of dancing requires at least group dance lesions and can be accelerated by private dance lesions. 

By posting as 'anonymous'  I can not determine your gender.  If your female; your basically 'out of luck' until you find a skilled partner or skilled group.

If your male; 'the world is your oyster'! If you attend dance instruction pay particular interest in how the female half varies from male and closely follow how to instruct a female partner.

I would suggest East Coast Swing for an easy to learn and instruct dance format. Easy to teach a beginner for a start up dance format.   The negatives are that it may impair learning the more eloquent West Coast Swing dance format.

Other formats are the Lindy Hop,  difficult to learn and teach.

Your age group may not like the Waltz format for the music that goes with it, but acceptable music can be found.

Master a dance format and the memory of missing your prom night will rapidly evaporate!!!

First of all the dancing you are talking is choreographed and not typical ballroom dancing.  

Second most high school proms have music that is popular at the time and not the type of music that a waltz or fox trot could be danced to.  

Third the dancing you want to see only exist in ballroom dance competitions 

Source(s): have ballroom lessons for sever years as a young teen and dance in competitions as a young adult.
  • John P

Wait for winter, then you can dance among the snowflakes.

• You realize that this is just a minor inconvenience and that at this time next year, it won't matter. No one dances like the people on "Dancing with the Stars" at prom. It literally doesn't matter. Be thankful that you didn't lose a loved one, your job, or your life. Be thankful you have food and a house, presumably. Grow up. Life's about to get a lot harder and deal you way more disappointments than missing some dumb prom.

• Expat

You could hire two hookers at one time. I guarantee it’ll be more memorable than prom. My prom sucked and my high school girlfriend’s prom was an expensive, miserable time. Get some hookers. You won’t regret it. 

• drip

The over whelming majority of high school students do not dance like they do on Dancing with the Stars.

Missing prom  is a minor blip of a disappointment. 

Quit thinking about it. Focus on all you need to do this year. 

• sam

Take some ballroom dance lessons over zoom, and get yourself dressed up glamourously in your house. 

• Marli

You just make yourself get over it.  

All you have suffered is minor disappointment.  If and when Covid-19 becomes just an inconvenience, you can take ballroom dancing lessons and then go to a college prom and to your friends' weddings.

You don't want to get over it. You are pouting and complaining like a child who was denied a treat because it makes you feel you should be the center of a magic world.  You are young and alive. You have not lost a loved one, a job, a business or a home because of Covid-19.

This pandemic will reoccur for years.  You and I will likely get some form of it before an effective vaccine is discovered and made available.

Grow up please.  And practice social distancing.

Have a movie night instead. Something like Carrie should put you off proms for life.