Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 months ago

Did all white people own slaves back then?

Update:

Wtf someone hacked my account and picked your answer

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Embery
    Lv 5
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The vast majority did not. What about the black people that owned slaves?

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Back when, and in which part of the world? In Britain a little over 200 years ago there were no black slaves actually in the British Isles, it was illegal, but there were many people in Britain  who owned black slaves over in the Caribbean colonies. Some owned just one or two slaves, others owned hundreds.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

No there were NO slaves in the British Isles once the Romans left in about 50 AD

• 8 months ago

i know i didnt. i wasnt born back then so i wouldnt know

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

nope,

just like now all races were diverse in their wealth, some were bums and some were slaves themselves (it was common law amidst Greek cities and copied by Rome later on).

Now that is not to say that more colorful pigmented people were always able to reach highest highs in ALL societies but there were some differences between their statuses aswell. Even ignoring lands where they were under no occupying force (assuming such places existed, i don't know), you did have some immensely talented people - the kind that gets ahead irrelevant of conditions).

Offcourse such people are exceedingly rare so majority of non-whits were not doing anywhere near as good and that dose make me question what the fk was wrong with Victorian-esque slavery laws, and why was it so much worse than Greek and Roman ones?!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.