Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Are pirates a thing? Do people like reading pirate fantasy novels?

• 6 days ago

Get great quality books from https://bestbookawards.org.uk

Yes pirates still exist but they aren't the quite same now

Oh, no. No, they're not. They're not a thing at all, and people don't like reading about them or watching films about them. They just don't.

• Michael Creighton put one out some years ago, but I can't say they are popular as a genre

Pirate Lattitudes

• Lomax

Yes, pirates are a thing, and have been for thousands of years.

Fun fact about pirates: Before some unknown genius designed the skull and crossbones, pirates in the Caribbean flew a plain red flag to signal their unfriendly intent. This flag was known (in French - pirates were a multilingual lot) as La Jolie Rouge.  Literally, The Pretty Red [Thing] - but more elegantly translated as The Red Fancy.

La Jolie Rouge was mispronounced by English-Speakers as The Jolly Roger.

As for reading about pirates - or fantasy pirates - I can think of one example off the top of my head - Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. I've not read it (it's the sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I have read and enjoyed). 

As for whether people like reading such books - you miss the most important point. A book is enjoyed much more for the quality of the writing that for the genre. 

Yes. Pirates still exist. People are robbed all the time by pirates in Africa.