Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

I'm 22 and I'm obsessed with cartoons, is this acceptable?

I am a 22 year old guy who loves cartoons. I love them so much! I watch Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, Mickey Mouse, Sonic, Winnie the Pooh, Disney animated movies/shows, etc. (I mostly watch silly classic-styled toons, but I'll watch anime occasionally.) I mean, I don't ONLY watch cartoons, I also draw, play with my toys, play video games, dress up, chat with people on Zoom and Webex, and go places that aren't shut down. Before COVID-19 started, I would go places, play with friends, and travel occasionally (I also love traveling, but COVID and my budget don't allow me to do it often). I don't have a job and never have due to having autism and an anxiety disorder (I won't share information about my income, but it's 100% legal). I've loved cartoons since I was 13. I have huge collections of plushies and action figures of my favorite characters and I play with them all the time. I also have season passes to my local theme parks so that I can visit the costumed characters there (can't do that right now due to COVID), I go so much that they even recognize me there! I also love to dress up as my favorite characters. Cartoons are my LIFE! I refuse to take my eyes off them! I don't see anything wrong with this, but I've had many people bash me for not having a job or "being too childish." Seriously, I'm not hurting anyone and I'm not hurting myself in any way. I would be miserable if I had to give up cartoons! Is what I'm doing acceptable?

Favorite Answer

I am 53 and use a line from Loony Tunes Foghorn Leghorn cartoon I remember seeing 35 years ago while in college, as my user name for email.  It is ok.

• edward

I’m not obsessed i mean i’m 26, i like anime shows...in the middle of a few simuldubs right now.  Love the retro cartoons like the bugs bunny and tweety show, jetsons, flinstones, ect.  The ones that used to play on Saturday morning.

• LizB

I'm almost 40 and still love Disney. But I'm also a functional adult. The problem does not lie in having youthful interests since many adults do, but in your emotional maturity not matching your actual age. 

I am 44 and still love cartoons but the more adult ones like Family Guy, American Dad, Brickleberry, Paradise PD etc...  I dont see nothing wrong with liking cartoons.

Aww jeez man I don't know. I mean if you're not hurting anyone else I guess it is okay. You're the genius you tell me.