Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Can i get disability?

Firstly, I'm schizophrenic. On top of this I have evasive thoughts, suicidal thoughts, self harm stuff, like smacking myself during evasive thought freak outs and out bursts where I might yell out, "just kill yourself."

When I freak out it can take 15 seconds to a half hour where I'm like smacking myself in the head and shaking my head. It can be pretty debilitating.

I applied before but it was when I first was diagnosed and I just put schizophrenia down and nothing else.

I have a doctor. I told her I was going for disability and she seemed neutral about it. She is the 3rd doctor I've had and all seem to act that way about it. I have a case manager who supports me getting on disability. I have a med review in a few days and my doctor  is thinking about uping my meds because of it. 

Favorite Answer

You need to see a therapist and he/she will recommend you for disability or not.

• LAN

Why are you asking us instead of working with your doctor to find out?    You can add stupid to your list of symptoms as well. 

Imaginary problems don't get you out of having to support yourself.

Nothing like taking welfare checks to make you feel better!!

I would say yes. I would counter those bursts with positive spoken words as well. 

I got accepted for bipolar disorder, at the time it was really bad but it has gotten better, when it asks you to describe your symptoms, donèt hold back, let them know how debilitating it is, thats how you decide. Also not sure where you live but you usually need a couple doctors to sign off on it, make sure you get that

• Matt

More than likely you'll end up living on the streets wandering around talking to yourself.