Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Electricity bill suddenly doubled?

Last month a lightening storm caused my power to switch off two different times. 

I was gone for a week for vacation but when I returned my power bill was twice what it usually costs. We aren’t doing anything new or different.

Is it possible my power switching off had something to do with it? What could’ve caused my power to double? What all take a lot of power? 

Have a qualified electrician come look at your wiring. There could be a fault--but someone could also have been using your electrical power while you were on vacation and you weren't aware of it. or your meter could be the problem. Either way, call your power company first--and ask them--it could also be that THEIR supplier suddenly raised prices. 

it you have some sort of controlled device such as a water heater or a/c, the timer that controls it may need to be reset or tested.  maybe it got stuck in the 'on' position.

Could be a damaged appliance like the fridge.  It may be using more energy trying to keep it cool inside, for example.

Sister dr.s warmness and whole kindnesses at all a disease with a favor of a habit for us,don,t be stubborn you too, in this world!

Switch off all power in your house and check if meter is running.  If it does, call the power company.

• A

call your electric provider, the storm may have messed up the meter