Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

As an African-American what reasons do I have to not hate white people for the atrocities they did during slavery and Jim Crow?

lynching castration bombing Church stealing property and destroying whole towns of blacks mass incarceration slavery by another name free labor

Police brutality

It's a hypothetical question I don't hate anyone I'm just playing devil's advocate, the point at the question is to get people to think

Look at all the comments debating racism with more racism

• L

YOU were NOT alive then - so why hate now?  There is NO ONE, alive today, who was a slave in the 1860's.

Hate whoever you're ignorant enough to hate, sparky.  Just keep in mind that no one alive today was alive during that time.  If you want to hate people who had nothing to do with events that occurred even before YOU were born, waste your time and energy.

Your reasons for not hating white people of today is:  Slavery was over 100 years ago, the people of today had nothing to do with it.  Police brutality is just a human being themselves who glorify in having a little power.   Racism is a form of small brain syndrome.  Ignore and pity them

• Ann

Sweetie, have you ever experience Jim Crow? No, you haven't. Why? Because many, many White people fought to get rid of it in the south and in the north. My mother was a member of the NAACP in the 50s. Have you, or anyone you know, ever been a slave? No. Why? Because the Republican Party was created to abolish slavery and the first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln, abolished it. During a strike of the PTC in Philadelphia, the army was sent in to run it. My father was paired on a bus with a guy from Alabama. One too many, "N word, get to the back of the bus" was too much for my dad, especially when talking to the women. My White dad threw him down the steps of the bus and got him up against it by his throat and warned him not to say it again. I haven't always been treated well by Black people. I don't dislike them all; I dislike those that haven't treated me well. Perhaps you should take people as individuals as well.

Go ahead, hate away.  You are an example of racism in it's purest form.

Because you've never met me and I have never done anything bad to anyone. Because not all white people are evil. There is good and bad in ALL walks of life. Hitler was a bad guy, doesn't mean that ALL Austrians and Germans are evil too. 

You would be doing the same wrong the white people did to you. That is the problem. Secondly, you fail to realize that these people you want to punish are not just going to sit back and let you do those things to them whether they deserve them or not.

• Prince

To not hate is a split infinitive. Not to hate living people who never did any of the historical things you mentioned is a good idea. The man Sessoms who just put a gun to the head of the little White boy, five year old Cannon, in Wilson NC made an evil mistake. Don't alienate or murder the decent White people who would be your allies, particularly in these terrible times when White Supremacists who are nowhere near you and to whom you have absolutely no access at all are plotting your genocide and watching what you do to the White people who still trust you.

According to your statement, we should ALL be hating ALL of us. People have been brutal to other people since they first walked the earth. You only perpetuate the divisions by continuing to hate.  That said, there is nothing wrong with hating the ACTS that were perpetrated during slavery and Jim Crow times. I can understand the feeling--but I can't condone the hatred of people. People are ignorant until they are taught not to be. Slavery was a product of ignorance and suspicion. You can hate that--but you should reconsider hating white people in general. Not all of us feel anywhere NEAR the way that people used to about African Americans, or slavery or the Jim Crow laws.  And some of us hate those things just as much as you. But people ought to be judged based on their individual characters, not their race--that's what caused slavery in the first place. Why perpetuate that? 

• Rick

IF YOU don't like the way WE run OUR country, there are all WHOLE BUNCH of other countries in the world you may move to. ................