Would you buy your “dream car” if it had a broken chassis? ?

I’ve been driving an old reliable beater Honda for over a decade now but have always liked the appearance of the little 1 series bmw convertibles. After all these years I saved enough cash and found one this week In the color that I wanted with only 75k miles. It was going for $12,000, I test drove it and all was good, except when I’d go up a driveway the car would make a crushing sound. The used car sales guy said it was safe and that was just normal because the bmw’s weigh a lot. He wanted me to sign the papers but I told him I would think about it and come back the next morning. I did a thorough vin research on the car and it has a broken chassis. I told him I have to back out of the offer. I knew when the feeling of finally having my toy wore off and whenever I tried to resell it I could get sued. The following day someone else bought the car, I imagine, unbeknownst to them that it has a broken chassis. If it was your dream toy, Would you still have bought it? 

A broken frame?  Not good.  Maybe it's repairable.  Maybe it isn't.  I'm not familiar with BMWs.

*All cars absolutely do have a chassis of sorts. Uni-body cars have a  sub-frame that cradles the engine, transmission and lower a-frames that connects to the front spindles. The rear suspension has lower and upper control arms which connect to the rear spindles with inner adjuster cams for alignment purposes.                                       As for your "heart-throb" car keep in mind that German car replacement parts and services are outrageous.

• F

What exactly do they mean by broken chassis? Most( all?) cars don’t have a chassis as such these days, sub frames are attached to the body shell.

Sub frames are usually substantial chunks of metal and could cost several hundred alone. Labour for fitting could cost a fortune, depending on what needs to be dismantled.

• Andy C

I just bought my dream vehicle (2013 Xterra Pro-4× w/off road bumpers) and I never let on to the salesman that it was my dream car.

Don't ever let them know,  but I did a very thorough pre-sale check; a list of 31 things to check that I made myself. 

If it had not passed muster,  it wouldn't be in my driveway. 

No sirree, Bob Dixie. That is a very bad deal- nothing but trouble.

I looked up BMW 1 series convertibles to get an idea of the sale prices, and found 102 of them nationwide.  It's perfectly fine if that's your dream car, but remember it's not a "rare" car.  Some were very low mileage (2010, 2011 models, but under like 60K miles and some had the I-6 turbo too).  Their prices weren't any higher than the $12K that broken one was being sold for.  You did the right thing by walking away.  

Maybe. But  I am  talking of a '68 XKE or  1917  Stanley, not some 2013 Beemer. My "dreams" are worth the straightening and welding, have  value in return.

No to used Bimmers.  They are all useless money pits.