is it better to NOT take off a laptop keyboard to clean out all the dust and crumbs? just do best you can without doing that? why?

i have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is 7 years old now. and it has a lot of dust and crumbs around keyboard. and just i took a toothpick and tried to get as best of it up as i could , because I think i remember last time when i tried to clean the keyboard...I broke off a couple of keys and i never was able to figure out how to put them back on. is that correct? or what is best way to clean keyboard? how important really?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The others are correct about careful cleaning of laptop keyboards.  You can buy a custom skin for the key caps.

Most key caps snap back on if you press down firmly.  But all the parts under the caps must be as original.  They are delicate arms, might be broken.  Also some have tiny rubber domes or donuts for spring return.

Buying a whole new keyboard is not expensive.  You can find YouTube videos for many popular model laptops for how to change out the keyboard.  Search on line.

• 1 month ago

Try blowing it out with a can of compressed air, followed by vacuuming the keyboard.

• 2 months ago

It is usually not a good idea to take apart a laptop/keyboard if you do know what you are doing.  The most common method for clean out a keyboard is a can of compressed air.

• 2 months ago

A simple technique is to turn it off and put it face down on something like a towel.  Then tap vigorously all over the back of it (not the bit with the screen, the bit with the keyboard).  That often dislodges crud harmlessly from the keyboard.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.