Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

How often do you change the cat's litter?

After a week when its smelly and the cat does her business on the floor, that's when I usually do it. Throw it all in the bin and put some more crystals in for her.

Everytime my cat poos in her tray then I remove her poo with a small plastic shovel, and pour some fresh litter over the tray. I clean the cat tray and disinfect it every other day and pour fresh cat litter into it. I've discovered that if you place folded up newspaper in the bottom of the tray then it makes it easier to clean. Most cats are reluctant to  use a litter tray that they have already peed or pooed on. So cleaning up after them daily or every other day is essential.

My cat goes outside to do his business. He will howl and scratch at the front door when he needs to go. Even if it's snowing or raining.

He's a keeper.

Always clean the litter box daily, doesn't matter if it's completely wiped out or not. Failure to clean the box might result in the cat doing business on the floor. Changing the box is another thing. Usually after a few days I change the litter either because the box is starting to lack litter or it just really needs changing. I also recommend doing it at daytime/before something important. You can follow these recommendations if you want to, I'm not forcing you.

daily...........................

When I do it, I check the litter box daily, and remove the poop straight away. I use silica gel litter, which is highly absorbent, and prevents odors developing, but also isn't clumping, meaning you don't need to scoop it as much, or as often.

In general, I only need to clean the litter box out around about once per week. I just pour the old litter into a bin liner, scrape the parts out which are stuck to the bottom of the tray with a litter scoop, then spray in some cleaner, and let it stay on for as long as it needs to (in order to kill any germs present). After that, I just wipe the tray out with a bit of kitchen towel, and then refill it with fresh litter.

• Jesere

My cat goes outside, used a litter box only once

We check it and scoop it daily. And change the litter twice a month.

Scoop twice daily.  

I just do this once daily.

• Maxi

As and when required which is daily lift out any soiled litter and every 2-3 days a complete change........otherwise it can smell as well as not be clean for the cat and I do not want or need my cat toileting on the floor or elsewhere