English Learner's Question: figure?

Could you please tell me what the verb "figure" means in the following passage?

(The narrator is secretly in love with her friend's fiance, but behaves as if she disliked him. Her frined wants the narrator's approval before she decides to marry him, and allows her fiance to talk to her.)

Could she really be so selfishly blind? After all, she was a woman; she ought to have—she must have read me better, in spite of myself, than to have no suspicion that it was not dislike which had made me shun him as I had. She had too much insight not to see, if she had cared to see, the cruelty of forcing me to figure like this in her triumph.

I really don't understand the "forcing me to figure like this in her triumph" part. I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It means something like being cast in a significant role in her drama production.

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Here, the word figure is used in the sense of "to play a part in"   As in "The popular actor featured in many movies, but figured in some which were unsuccessful." This useage of the word is more common in British English.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In American English the verb "figure" is often used to mean "think", "consider" and similar. That use of "figure" is very rarely encountered in Britain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.