Dan
Dan asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Who owns the copyright of the Simon Necronomicon?

I know editorial aspects of the Simon Necronomicon are certainly under protection, probably by Avon Books -- but who (if anyone) owns the copyright to the text itself and the designs?

I know its true origin is supposedly a bit of a mystery, but if Avon really did just reprint it, then they don't really own any copyright to the work, right?

• Marli

Report my comment as chat. I want to tell Tina that I LOL and nodded till my neck hurt. I've had those encounters too  Not about "Neconomicon" though.  About "The Book of Life", "The Handbook of Bee Culture" and other works by Sherlock Holmes.

• Tina

Look, the original 'Necronomicon', written by 'the mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred' never existed. It was referred to in the works of H P Lovecraft but HE MADE It UP - it existed only in his imagination.

Later, people wrote various versions, because it seemed a really cool idea.This version seems to have relied heavily on other author's research into ancient mythology, but it's still NOT REAL.

It will belong to the author. And yes the publishers own the copyright.

I'm sorry to use capitals but I once worked in a catalogue which included all the non fiction titles held in London libraries.

Every week or so someone would ask where s/he could borrow a copy of the Necronomicon.

The conversation would run:

"No, I'm sorry, there is no such book."

"Yes, there is. It's mentioned here. In print. That means it exists."

"No, it doesn't, I'm afraid. P H Lovecraft made it up."

"No, it's in print, here. That shows it's real."

"No, really, it doesn't. And if it did it wouldn't be recorded here. This is a non-fiction catalogue."

"But it isn't fiction..."

You see what I mean.

Marli, I feel your pain - then there were the mishearings "Seminole Indian Capers" which turned out to be "A Seminar on Indian Papers" - the inexplicable - the titles of four volumes of works by an obscure poet, which turned out to be the four lines of his address - the inordinate amount of clerical gentlemen alleged to have the initials S J (the order, not the name) and moments of unholy joy when I could say "Sorree, all editions from that press are banned in this country, your borrower will have to go to Paris to buy one, and smuggle it through customs if he wants it...not that I am recommending that..."

The original author unless otherwise stated.  That may, or may not be Peter Lavenda (and others).  The original publisher is Schlangekraft, Inc which is thought to be Lavenda's company. Copyright should be stated on the work (usually on the back of title page).