Do colleges ever send you offers or do you apply for scholarships?

I’m entering junior year of HS. Do colleges send scholarships to you in order to try and get you to come or not? Is the only way to get a scholarship is to apply for one. Also I’m not an athlete or anything like that.

Favorite Answer

Yes, they do. Universities near me heavily recruit, especially from a local high school with an optional academic prep program. I know a student who received offers from both the local state university and a private university. Both told her what aid she would qualify for, depending on her ACT score, which wasn't in yet. This was at the very beginning of her senior year. But you generally don't have to apply for scholarships. Your parents fill out the FAFSA form during your senior year with their financial information. The analysis results get sent to the schools you apply to. Those schools determine what financial aid they can offer you- which usually includes scholarships, grants and loans. The offers can be very different, depending how much they want you. I know a student who got offers ranging from 0 to almost full tuition, room and board. That's why it's good to apply to a number of colleges. 

• MS

Some colleges/universities have automatic scholarships that you qualify for based on your GPA and test scores; you don't have to apply separately for them, and they are available to all eligible students who enroll.  Otherwise, you apply for scholarhips.  They don't just throw them out there as a way to attract students. 

• Tavy

You apply for one.

• keerok

You only get offers if you're that popular, worthy to a national level. Otherwise, you apply yourself.

• Tasm

You apply for scholarships.