Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 3 months ago

Would you swim in the Ocean with an Orca?

Male or female? How old is the Orca? Do they have a pup? Are they familiar with humans? What am I wearing? What time of year is it? What pod of Orca does it belong to (different Orca pods specialize in hunting different prey, theoretically to avoid direct competition with each other)? There are A LOT of factors. A female with no pup that specializes in eating either small fish or whales, and is alone I'd probably be reasonably comfortable with. A female with a pup? No. A male? No, especially a young or bull male. A seal eater? No, regardless of anything else.

• Webbo

No way, the idea of swimming with a 35ft beast doesn't appeal to me, way too risky, I wouldn't even do it at seaworld, maybe swim with a dolphin though and I know someone who has.

Assuming that I am trained and with a team of other who know what’s their doing, then yes, but if I just randomly saw an orca in the ocean I would not jump and swim with it.

• F

I’ve heard they never attack humans but don’t want to chance one being a bit short sighted and mistaking me for a seal.

I can barely swim so no. 

• Jim

I've been an ocean diver for 50 years and have never had a problem.

But, some people can't handle the thought of all that wildlife out there.

Just like on land, you need to be aware of animals!!! Heck, a deer can kill you!

No, because I can't swim.  The last time I tried, I sank.

It's probably not a good idea to swim near an apex predator that's big enough to bite Bo Derek's leg off, but it should be noted that in the wild, an orca has never attacked a human being.  The Bo Derek movie is fiction.

Heck no! I would not. They are cute from a far. I don't want it swimming under me or around me. They are huge

With an awful lot of ocean between us

Nope, not doing it