Book Title Help?

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of this series, I believe it was a trilogy.  It was a young readers/young adult series that I read in 2003.

It was a sci-fi series about aliens.  These kids were at school and they notice their teacher doesn’t come in.  They’re in this room that is partially underground and when they exit they see that everyone is gone.  (No this is not the Gone series). 

The kids go to their respective homes, get supplies and meet back at the school to come up with a plan.  They end up leaving and going on a journey where they meet a random person that is suspicious and tells them where to go.  

In the last book they get to this farm where they find out that aliens had abducted everyone in hopes of taking over their bodies because they were dying but taking over their bodies made them feel bad or something, I can’t remember, but they strike a deal to cohabitate.  1 alien for 1 human in perfect harmony.

I have been looking for the series for years and I can’t remember the author or the name of the book.  That’s all the details I can remember, if you know it, I’d be very grateful.

• Speed

I wish I knew it, because it sounds pretty good. I do like it when aliens aren't cast as monsters or would-be overlords.

Did you get it from a library? In my experience, school librarians and the children's librarian at public libraries know their collections pretty well. Try asking there, or emailing.