Sleep Paralysis, Nocturnal Seizures, or Just a Bad Dream?

Since I was in high school, I’ve had what I now call “episodes”. Usually they start off by me awakening and I get intense tingles throughout my body and cannot move. I can’t yell for help or control anything. I’ve had an MRI and sleep study and all have come back normal! As I’ve gotten older, my episodes have gotten longer and more intense. The last one I recall was painful, it was like a mix of tingles and shooting pain throughout my body. I should add that my episodes are sporadic and I can’t find a common thing that triggers it. I could go days, weeks, or months without having one. I haven’t had one in a while but last night was the worst I’ve ever had. I hallucinated that my husband got out of bed and was in our kitchen, I was having such severe stabbing pains all throughout my head and neck and could hardly breathe. It ended when I hallucinated that he came back to bed. I asked him how long he was gone for (I was trying to time my episode), he had no idea what I was talking about and said that he’d been asleep for hours. During that episode I was certain that this was going to be the end, it was SO painful and I felt like I just couldn’t breathe. So far with every episode I’ve had I don’t convulse, but I do wake up extremely fatigued and weak. I find it difficult to concentrate throughout the day and feel jittery. Ive never peed the bed, fell out of bed, or gotten hurt during an episode. No drugs/alcohol BTW. Is there anyone out there that has this happen to them? 

Schedule an appointment with your family doctor and show them what you have written here when they ask what brings you in today.  Once they have finished reading it you can have a frank discussion on how you are doing.  They can do a full physical and neurological workup to discover any medical issues that need to be addressed.  They can refer you to a sleep specialist for a sleep study and then your doctor can refer you to a mental health professional for an evaluation of your current mental state.  Once all the evaluations are completed a treatment plan can be created that should be able to help you.

If the doctors and others you are seeing say they can find nothing wrong then you need to tell them there is something wrong and ask them to refer to you other doctors for a second opinion. 

I read one story of a woman that knew something was wrong but the doctors kept telling her they could not find anything.  She pushed back and keep researching and seeing other doctors.  Three years later after seeing over 100 doctors and specialists she found one that had published a paper that matched the symptoms she was having.  Turned out she had a rare condition that had only three recorded cases in the entire US and a dozen cases worldwide.  Once she began treatment she made a full recovery.